Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Valentines Day


I have always thought that Valentine's Day was the lamest holiday. It's so unfair and stupid! I always feel bad for the single people who don't have a "special someone" to spend it with and quite frankly, I think stuffed animals holding a velvet heart are tacky. I always get a laugh out of the people on the day of Valentine's who rush to the store in a panic to by their loved one a gift to show them, "Hey Baby, I love you!" However, when I met Todd my attitude towards Valentine's Day has changed. Not because I finally met someone to spend it with but because Todd proposed to me 8 years ago on February 14th.


The first time I met Todd, I received the distinct impression that I would marry him someday. I was (and still am) head over heels for him and I couldn't wait for that to happen. Todd and I had talked for a while about getting married and I thought he was going to wait until my birthday to propose.


I remember that Todd had cooked me a romantic dinner all by himself and then afterwards, he took me home. On the way home, we got pulled over by the Utah Highway patrol right by my house. The police officer was such a jerk! He told Todd he was driving recklessly and then he asked to search his car. I was so mad at the guy! I couldn't believe he was giving Todd such a hard time. We were really close to my house and I kept looking to see if my parents were looking out the window or if my dad would come and save us (he is a police officer too). The cop finally asked Todd for his license, cuffed him and then asked him to come and sit in his police car with him while he did a back ground check. I was fuming! What a masochistic butthead! About 5 minutes later, both the cop and Todd got out of the car and the cop had written up a ticket for Todd. The guy had me read it to make sure I understood why Todd was receiving a ticket and I started to laugh. On the ticket, the cop had written that I had the right to marry Todd and that he loved me. Todd then got on his knee and proposed. His poor little hands were shaking so hard! Needless to say, the rest is history! We will be married for 8 years in August and I am so happy!


I love Todd with all my heart and I am so proud of the person he has become and the life he has chosen. We have been through a lot of great experiences that have pushed us together and have helped us trust in each other and the Lord. He is one of my greatest heroes and I admire him for his choices and his dilligence. He means everything to me and I am so honored that he is going to be the father of my children and that I get to be with him forever.


I love you Todd!

6 comments:

  1. Yay!! Thanks for the invite to your blog. You are looking great. Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great proposal story!!! I had never heard it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, you are so sweet!!!

    That's a fun story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I never heard that story!? That's one for the history books - I'll have to ask Mike if he knew!

    ReplyDelete