Thursday, March 5, 2009

7 days left and counting down

I only have 7 days left until I leave my job. WAHOO! This is a very bitter sweet experience and I am both very sad to leave the great people I work with but very happy to be moving on with my life. I have learned a great deal during my three years at the U of U and I have gained many good friends. I won't miss the long drive everyday, the higher-education philosophical bull crap, or the late nights. I will miss my "sisters" at the office, Elizabeth and Rachel S. and all my SHAC students. I feel I am walking away having learned something from all of them instead of me having a huge impact on their lives. My position at the U has been the best job I have held and I am thankful for the opportunity to have worked at such a great institution.

With that being said, I am so excited to become a mom! As the time draws closer and closer, Todd and I feel so positive and at peace about our decision for me to quit and be home with Gabbie. I go into her room every night and I stare at everything. I can't believe that in a few short weeks she will be here with us. I am not very nervous about the labor and delivery but I am more concerned about being a really good mother.

Lately I have been thinking about things I went through growing up and I hope to high heaven that my kids don't ever have to go through them. I think it's just the mama bear coming out in me and being very protective of my kids. If my children do experience similar situations, I do know that it's good for them to be stretched and tested and hard experiences help them in the long run. I just remember some very painful situations and I know it will probably hurt me as a mother to have to watch my kids go through the same things. I guess that is just why we are taught to teach our children well, how to communicate, and how to cope with hard experiences.

I am very thankful to have such a great companion who will be an incredible father. He is going to be a very loving and kind dad to our kids. He is very supportive of me and I appreciate that he cares so much about how I feel and what I need. I can't wait to start this new chapter in our lives together!

3 comments:

  1. I am so jealous! I am going to miss my "sister" here too, I am going to be the only Rachel here and that will be sad. You are so lucky and you should have no fears about being a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rach-you are so sweet! You and Todd are gonna be the best parents! Little Gabbie is so lucky to have you guys (and me, her God-Mother: ha ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you to start this phase in your life. You are going to be a GREAT mom and you will LOVE IT!! I can't wait for play dates :) Love ya.

    ReplyDelete