
I have been very fortunate to work with the coolest group of college students at the U. For the past 3 years, I have been one of the advisors to the Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC). SHAC is composed of a highly dedicated group of students at the University of Utah, whose main purpose is to promote physical, mental, and spiritual health on campus. When I first arrived on campus as a Health Educator, I was immediately welcomed with open arms from these students and I have become great friends with all of them. We have a lot of fun and serious memories together. About a year and a half ago, my predecessor left his position to become a director at another institution and there was some concern from him about me not being able to hold the group together. I was very hurt and offended because I had worked very hard and often ended up doing this person's job many, many times and I felt stabbed in the back. I am beginning to realize now that he was worried about letting this group go because he had built it up and didn't think anyone could do as good as a job as he did. My students supported and had faith in me and together we were able to gain 30 reliable members of the group who come to meetings each week, were responsible, and who have produced some of the best work that SHAC has ever done. It has been a huge self-esteem boost for me and I am thankful for the relationships I've gained with them.
On Monday it was my last SHAC meeting. I was a complete emotional mess because my students put together the sweetest, most endearing gift I could ever have asked for. They compiled a scrapbook of what they've learned from me and some memories we have together. Some of them were so personal and touching that I just cried the entire time while they were presenting the gift to me. I was so worried when my boss left a year and a half ago that I wouldn't measure up or that what he said would be true but my students goodbye to me was such a testimony that they do in fact love and respect me. My heart is overwhelmed with emotion and gratitude towards them!
I feel I am walking away from SHAC with my great lessons learned. If anything, I feel my students have taught me incredible things instead of me changing their lives. I will miss laughing and talking with them. I will miss our annual retreat and planning for our wellness fair. I will miss them coming into my office just to chat and I will miss seeing them on campus. I consider all my students "friends" and I am so proud of their accomplishments and I will never forget them. THANK YOU SHAC! I LOVE YOU!
Awww, Rachel we love you too. We support your decision of being a stay-at-home-mom. However, you need to make sure your little Gab-Gab knows that you sacrificed being with the awesomest people in the world for her. She better know that she owes you because of that sacrifice alone. That way, she'll owe you for life, haha.
ReplyDelete- Josh
your the SHAC mamma!!! good practice, if you can deal wiht 30 college students, motherhood looks like a walk in the park. congratulations on your retirement :)
ReplyDeleteI miss you already! SHC will not be the same without you.
ReplyDelete