Saturday, April 18, 2009

Question for all you mothers




I realize that Gabbie has only been alive since Tuesday, but I daresay, breastfeeding is the hardest thing to do! I went to classes before she was born and met with a lactation specialist in the hospital and Gabbie and I still can't get it down. She latches on fine, and the milk factory is producing but it's almost like she hates breastfeeding. She fights with me and will turn her head away when I try to feed her. In a worried and desperate attempt to make sure her belly is full, I have pumped and then fed her a bottle. I know lactation specialists and some pediatrician's would say that is a no no, but what am I supposed to do? She takes a bottle soooo much better and sleeps like an angel when I pump as opposed to breast feeding an hour later she is cranky and still won't feed. What do I do? I wanted so badly to breast feed but everytime I try, Gabbie is mad and I am exhausted. Suggestions anyone?


On a lighter note, everything else is GREAT! When she sleeps, she sleeps and she is so beautiful and observant of everything around her. I love staring into her eyes when she is awake and I am glad to have her. I feel great and I have been up and about cleaning and moving around fine without any pain. Hopefully I will be able to go back to kick boxing in a matter of time when I am fully healed!

Please, suggestions, comfort, reassurance from anyone! I am sad this isn't working out and I am physically tired after trying so hard to get this down.

8 comments:

  1. Rach-

    Okay, so I am not an expert in this area in any way, but from talking with other moms who have tried breastfeeding, YOU ARE NOT ALONE! I have heard many say that it can be difficult and some have stopped altogether in order to have a more positive feeding experience with their child. I don't see any harm in that. Do what is best for YOU and for Gabbie. If it is frustrating and not working well for you, you are not a bad mother by not doing what is RECOMMENDED. Do what works for YOU! If pumping and feeding her works, then do that, if you become exhausted from pumping and want to buy formula, DO IT! Avery has been bottle fed from day 1 and is a healthy and happy baby. Sometimes doctors and nurses try and make you feel guilty if you don't or can't breastfeed, but everyone is different and we are all just trying to do what's best for us and our child. I love you dear. Just remember to do what you feel will work. I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, Gabbie is GORGEOUS! Can't wait to meet her and see you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i HAD to post because I remember Tiffany Smith telling me about this! You need to email tiffany cause she has been there and done that and had lots of useful information. I said the day I breastfeed would be the day I fly Tiffany in for a few months! good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry you are going through this. Do you think if she got hungry enough that she would give in and breast feed? I am afraid that if she get's too use to the bottle this early on then there will be no going back. Not that it's a bad thing to bottle feed but I can imagine it's so much harder on you to have to pump AND bottle feed since it's double the work. I think breatfeeding takes practice and eventually she will get it. She won't let herself starve. But I know how hard it it to see your baby suffer even the slighest bit. Maybe it would be worth calling a lactation specialist? My friend did the whole pumping thing because her baby would fall asleep at the breast. It worked out for her. Eitherway you go, I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well as you may know I breast fed all 5 (still w/tristan) - I say if you want to do it, keep at it. Babies do feed for just a short time and then nod off to sleep (or think they want to get off) that's what newborns do - there is nothing wrong with you.

    She has to "work" at getting the milk, that is why it is easier with the bottle for her - it just dribbles down her throat basically. She doesn't want to work - she will not starve, she's smarter than that.

    If it is making you too stressed out, then do the bottle thing and don't feel guilty. But it is work at first sometimes - especially with the first baby - trust me. You're not doing anything wrong though so don't feel like that. Just relax, and sit down and watch a show while you nurse even if it takes an hour (yes, it can) and relax - she can tell if you're stressed (like when you are trying to horse back ride and the horse can sense you are stressed - so can a baby)

    It's not even been a week so give yourself a break, babies lose weight at the beginning then when the milk "really" comes in then they start gaining weight. So long as she is peeing you are good. Sometimes baby take an hour to eat, sleep for an hour and think they want to eat again - that's why moms never get anything done at first! :) Totally normal. Send me an email - let me know how you do or if you have more specific questions.

    Also - be sure to tell me how to do the bow ribbon thing on the head - I never learned that one, do I need you to send me something out something special or is it a trick? xoxo H

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and stop cleaning and cooking - that's why Todd takes the time off and people bring in food - it is EXHAUSTING having a newborn - your job is to sleep, eat, feed, gaze into Gabbie's eyes and rest. And make Todd change the diapers :)

    I promise it gets easier

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel, I've had both experiences. Alayna I think was born with out the desire or ability to suck. Truly, breastfeeding was an ordeal for all 5 months of it! I was stressed and she just was never interested. Her eating habits have continued till the age of 4. Eating for her is an after thought. No interest. But, somehow she managed to eat and get enough of what she needed from nursing. My only tip that helped me is trying different positions. I thought I could do the "under the blanket" technique that looks so natural. Wrong. I had to do the football hold. I would hold my chest with one hand and hold her head with the other. It's totally not natural, comfortable or convienent. But it was the only thing that worked. Jacob on the other hand came loved eating and it was easy. Another suggestion is if it is painful keep taking those meds even if you don't feel like you need too, because your chest won't be as sore. I agree with the mom who posted before, babies won't starve and breastfeeding requires you to be calm (which seems so impossible because it's somehting so new to you) and the baby to be interested. I seriously would spend an hour trying, her eating for a few seconds/minutes. Then her be done. Then she'd be hunry again. If you keep sticking with it in a few weeks she will be a pro! I promise. (Hey, I had to stop nursing around 4 months with both because the milk supply just depleated...so bottle feeding will come all in good time.) Good Luck! It's challenging for all new mom's!!! She is an absolute beautiful baby girl!!! I'm so happy for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachel,
    I am sorry this has been frustrating for you. I would keep at it for at least 2-3 weeks and then see where you are at. You might have a slow release and so she has to try harder to get milk. Over time, that might get easier and your milk might come out faster. I would maybe pump and keep a few bottles all ready to go, then try feeding her at first, and then if she just is so upset, then give her the bottle for a few times and see if that helps. That way she is still trying to nurse but is also getting enough to eat!!!

    HANG IN THERE!!!!

    ReplyDelete