Sunday, March 14, 2010

Funeral for a friend

We said our farewells to our beloved friend on Friday, March 12th 2010. I have only been to a few funerals in my life but this was one of the best funerals I have ever attended. Despite the tragic circumstances, we felt an overwhelming sense of peace and happiness in Clint's behalf. The hardest part of this whole situation is the separation we are experiencing from Clint. We know he is better off where he is and he is happy but we still hurt tremendously and we miss our friend so very, very much.

The funeral started off with a family prayer and Clint's father, David Layton, offered one of the most beautiful, power, heart felt, and reverent prayers I have heard. After the prayer, we were all allowed to say one last goodbye to Clint's body. Having had cancer, I have to say, Clint looked pretty darn good. In his last days, he had a bump on his head from a shunt that was used to deliver medicine directly to his spinal cord and his skin was very shallow and you could tell he was very, very sick. I was surprised at how well he looked! The bump on his head was gone, the morticians had put some padding in his chest to make him look like he did before cancer invaded his body, and we could all see his freckles again. Those who wanted to, approached his coffin for a final farewell. When Todd and I decided to take a turn, Todd gave Clint a hug and kissed his face. I held Clint's hand and I told him that this was not goodbye but just "we will see you soon". I told him to come visit us from time to time and because we still want him a part of our lives and that we would take good care of Kelly, Callie, and Tessa. I told him I loved him and I can't wait for the day to see him again. After everyone had had a turn, it was then his sweet wife's turn to say goodbye. Okay....if you think having to see someone die is heartbreaking, just think what it would be like to watch a beloved sister, cousin, daughter and mother say her final goodbyes to her sweetheart. I don't think there was a dry eye in the room. I feel for Kelly and I can't imagine the heartache she is dealing with right now. I pray that Clint and the Lord send Kelly and her girls strength and blessings.

After the family prayer and viewing, we were escorted into the chapel for the funeral service. Many of Clint's loved ones, including Todd, spoke of Clint and the memories, lessons learned, and influence he had on many lives. It was all very, very touching and I know Clint loved and appreciated every minute of the service. When the service was over, the pall bearers carried Clint's coffin to the hearse waiting outside where he was serenaded by a single bag pipe playing. We all followed the hearse to the Bountiful cemetary where Clint was laid to rest and the bag piper played, "Amazing Grace" and as he finished the song, he walked off into the distance. It was so beautiful and such an honorable and deserving funeral of someone who was so incredible in this life.

I know all is well with Clint but there is a tremendous void in our lives now that can't be filled. Sure, we know Clint is better off where he is, it was God's will, we know God lives and because of his Son, we WILL see Clint again but we miss his voice, his jokes and laughter, and his crazy dancing. I wonder how in the world people handle something like this without the hope of the atonement. If I couldn't see my loved ones after they passed away, I think I would be extremely depressed. This experience has made me all the more thankful for our Heavenly Father's plan and our Savior Jesus Christ. I hope to live my life worthily so I can see my beloved friend again. Until then, there is much work on this earth that needs to go forth and Todd and I have a new resolve to live better each day, love harder, fight less, understand the scriptures more, go to the temple more often and serve those around us. Clint was an incredible person and we know he is probably busy being an angel to those who suffered as he did or he is teaching those who did not have the Savior in their lives here on earth. We will go forth, with fond memories in our hearts and a never ending love for our brother, cousin, son, husband and friend and live our lives so that Clint would not be disappointed in us. Until then-We love you Clint and look forward to seeing you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment