Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Let's hear it for stay at home mommy's!

Can I just complain for a second? I am getting so sick of people's shocked reaction when I tell them that I plan on quitting my job when my baby comes. Why is it a bad thing to want to be at home for your child? Working in the higher ed enivornment, I have received so much criticism for our choice for me to quit working at the U. People say stuff to me all the time like, "Wow, are you sure your husband is okay with that" or "don't you worry about losing your identity?". How in the world is that ANYONE'S business? One of my previous colleagues actually told me that me quitting to be a mother is a significant loss. WHAT? It's really unfortunate to see what satan has done to destroy the family. Mothers are valued less for their roles in the home and are praised for achieving a high paying career. No one has ever asked me what influenced me to make this choice and I would gladly tell them why I plan on "just being a mom."

My parents were divorced when I was 6 and I watched as my poor mother had to go back to the work force without an education or any skills to help her land a good job. My biological father was completely absent my entire life and never paid child support. During that time, the Lord blessed us significantly in providing my mother with a good job, good neighbors, and an excellent family to help us out. She worked long hours and still had time to take both my brother and I to ballet class and basketball practice. On top of that, she made sure we were taught the gospel and always took us to church. She is truly my hero and I am forever grateful to her for her sacrifices. More than anything, she wanted to be at home for her children but because of the circumstances my father put us in, she could not.

There are a couple of things I have always wanted. The first being to receive a college education. After watching my mother struggle and work in crappy jobs, at a young age I promised myself that I would go to school and learn skills that would help me in this life. I ended up going to the U of U and became the first woman in my family to receive her bachelor's degree. The second and perhaps greatest thing I have ever wanted was to be at home with my children someday.

I was very different from my friends growing up in the sense that my mother was working while other mom's were lucky to be at home for their kids. I was secretly jealous of those kids in my class whose mom's came and helped out with our school work or other activities. With that being said, I got my degree and Todd and I are now in a place where we feel very strongly about me being home. In a couple of priesthood blessings, we have been promised that Todd would be able to provide financially for our family and would always have a job. I have also been promised that I would be able to be at home for my children. I am going to trust the Lord because he has never let me down.

I am fed up with people minimizing the role of motherhood and I hate it when people say to me, "so, you're going to be a princess and JUST be a stay at home mom?". Anyone who has ever said that never had kids! For those of you who are already mother's, it's not a walk in the park. You're on call 24/7 and hardly ever get a break. Just a mom? HA! Mother's work harder than any professional business person I know and it's high time they get the credit and attention they deserve. Let's hear it for stay at home mommy's!

13 comments:

  1. Amen Sista!!! I recieved MUCH of the same criticism before I quit doing hair. Many people couldn't understand how I could just give up the full clientele that I had worked for so many years to build up. Many others would say that I would want to come back ASAP. They couldn't see the BIG picture. I know my role in life is supposed to be that of a mother. I know that men and women are supposed to have different roles, but they are equally important. No one else can do as good a job of raising my children but me. It can be hard at times but NOTHING in this world has been more rewarding! I am proud of you Rachel for standing up for what you believe in. I love that there is going to be one more mother out there raising good children and helping to strengthen the family. What a lucky little baby Gabby is to have a mom like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rach, I'm so proud of you! You are so right on about this whole thing! Being at home with your kids is the biggest blessing for you both. Look at what has happened to our society as a result of more mothers being forced to work. Your mom did a GREAT job with you and Todd! But you deserve all the praise, respect and support from everyone in your life. Gabbie will have a great mom and dad, ones who know the importance of family. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Motherhood, specifically being a stay at home mom is so worth it and it is a special gift that the rest of the world may not ever understand. It definately isn't easy. But there is no place I would rather be than with my wee Everett. I know that it is also such a short time that will pass quickly. I am happy for you and Todd. All of the sacerfices will work out, and the blessings are abundant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude- those people are just jealous you are living the dream!! Being a mother in 10 times harder than any other job and you get 10 million times the reward. You and Todd will make the best parents and little Gabby will be so blessed to have you there with her growing up. Just don't tell me how wonderful it is, I still have a few years to go. And what is this Twilight link you have on here? I need one on mine! Oh Edward.
    I heart you sister! Way to say what you feel and stand up for your right to choose what is best for you and your family. I admire you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what you wrote. You are going to be a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are going to be a great mom! I wish that I could stay at home with my boys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so excited for you to stay at home! I've experienced both and would be a SAHM if given the choice. It's not without its challenges, but the rewards are incredible!

    By the way, y'all have amazing taste in names! You couldn't pick a better one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so bizzaar! Especially since you live in "The Promised Land" (Although you lose brain cells when you stay at home too long - but gain crafty ones!) I'm just kidding of course - it's been10 years since I stayed at home - and it has been wonderful. You will love it - usually the ones saying the negative stuff are the ones that either 1) don't like children, 2) like themselves more (or their money) or 3) just don't have a filter!!!

    Of course you'll miss working, or the socialization it brings, but it's a choice and a darn good one - work is always work, it will always be there when and if you want to go back to it...but childhood - you only get one shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How weird is it that you have friends with the names: Holly, Tyler & Ian??????? Did you tell them about your reli's?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rachel, you are awesome! Since having Connor, I stayed home the first 6 months and have since gone back to work part time, but we are always working toward me staying home. It breaks my heart to leave him every day, even though I have an awesome job and love teaching! You are going to love being home, but it is definitely a transition after working full time! Make sure you start hanging out with the mommy group in the ward, it really helps with the transition and those girls ROCK.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good post Rachel! If anything I would say that you are so lucky to be able to have the opportunity to be a stay at home mom. I don't think that you are giving anything up. I would love to catch up with you too. Yes, I am still in AZ and loving it. Do you have my number or email address?

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are going to be the BEST mom! I talk about quiting my job once Dave is making enough $ to support the fam and am excited for that day, and it's true, you get a lot of grief for it. Whatever...
    People have the wrong perception of being a stay-at-home mom. It is a lot of work. You are challenged, stimulated, and have the opportunity to grow everyday! It's way more of an experience than the work force. "Lose your identity?" Please! Being home with my adorable little rascals is the best thing in the world. I LOVE my job, but I LOVE being home with my family a million times more. I truly believe that there will never be a more rewarding "job" than motherhood.

    ReplyDelete