This entry is a little out of character for my blog so I apologize if any of you are bored. I am sure that all of you have either seen or heard on the news about the kerfuffle with Kanye West and Taylor Swift on the MTV Video Music Award Show (VMA'S) that aired Sunday night. Quite frankly, his behavior really, really pissed me off. Who in the world does that guy think he is? He has been on the news many, many times for behaving like an arrogant jerk and this previous little act of his makes me so disgusted with Hollywood and the celebrity vermin that live there. Many of my friends on FaceBook are colleagues and students I was aquainted with at the University of Utah and over the past couple of days, there has been a lot of discussion on this issue. For the most part, people are disgusted with his behavior but then there are some radical individuals who are excusing his behavior as an act of social justice. WHAT?
Not sure what social justice is? Let me explain. Social justice is a term that is used to describe both a philosphical debate and an important issue in politics, religion and civil society. Most individuals wish to live in a just society, but each political set of aims and ideas has its own concept of what constitutes a "just society". Social justice is also a concept that some use to describe the movement towards a socially just world. In this context, social justice is based on the concepts of human rights and equality. Let's be honest. The United States of America and our political system is NOT just. Not every racial and ethnic group is treated equally in terms of opportunity and status. Most people of color do not have the same opportunities as a white person does. It's true! When you look at the demographics at any college in the U.S., caucasians are the highest percentage of students followed by Asians, Pacific Islanders, Latinos and then African Americans and Native Americans are the lowest. Also, African Americans tend to suffer more from debilitating illnesses than any other group combined. WHY? It's not because they are lazy or unhealthy, they don't have the same access to healthcare and education as other groups do. This country was made to serve caucasians (which is total bull crap) and our brothers and sisters of color have reaped the unfortunate consequences of facing stereotyping, racism, and prejudices against them every single day.
Since the civil rights act, many groups have started to really "stick it to the man" by speaking up against racism and stereotyping. When I worked at the U, I attended many trainings on social justice and I am glad that I was taught to recognize the priviledges I enjoy as a white person. Quite honestly, from a historical perspective, the whites have always pillaged and plundered racial and ethnic groups AND continue to do so. I will never know what it means to feel oppressed. My entire life I have never had to defend my race. I have received excellent healthcare and I got to go to college. Because because people of color have to constantly face issues of racism, stereotyping, and prejudice, I am usually one to applaud a person when they make a stand against my own people (the whites) when someone says or does something out of line. I think all white people should be called on their priviledges and learn to recognize it. I believe by doing so, we can help to reduce inequality.
Now back to Mr. Kanye West. I do not believe what he did was right. I thought it was very, very rude and arrogant. Some people I have seen on FaceBook applaud him for sticking it to a white country girl but why was that necessary? I don't think his aim was to call someone on their priviledge, I think he was being a total jerk! For whatever reason, he thinks he is important enough to take the microphone away from Taylor Swift on national television and tell the world that someone else should have received the award. WHAT? I think people can and do cross the line of calling someone on their bullcrap to just being disrespectful and down right mean. What in the world was unjust about the VMA's for people to take the Kanye West/Taylor Swift issue so far as a social justice issue? Give me a break! Kanye West behaved like an immature, arrogant, spoiled star and his action, in my opinion, was despicable.
No comments:
Post a Comment